Advertisement
Travel News

‘Unimaginable torment’: PM breaks silence on William Tyrrell investigation

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has broken his silence on the ongoing search for William Tyrrell, speaking of “unimaginable torment” the boy’s family has suffered.

William was three when he vanished from his foster grandmother’s home in Kendall, on the NSW mid-north coast, in 2014.

Police earlier this week launched a fresh search for William acting on “new information”, with detectives focusing on one person of interest.

It has since emerged that the sole person of interest in the case is William’s foster mother.

Advertisement

A forensic search of the Kendall property and the surrounding bushland for the boy’s remains entered its fourth day on Thursday.

Mr Morrison said the case was a “very sensitive issue” but thanked the police officers involved for their persistence and dedication.

“Given the nature of these matters, I wouldn’t want to be making any contributions here that could in any way put at risk the extraordinary work that has been done by law enforcement officers around the country,” he told reporters in Sydney.

“For all of his family who for whom it is just unimaginable, the torment that they have been going through, I hope these latest developments provide them with some comfort.”

Advertisement
Camera IconPrime Minister Scott Morrison was asked about William Tyrrell at a press conference on Thursday. NCA NewsWire / Damian Shaw Credit: News Corp Australia

The little boy who was photographed smiling in his Spider-Man suit on the day he vanished would become the subject of one of Australia’s most baffling missing person cases.

He has never been found despite several searches over the past seven years and a coronial inquest, which remains open.

Mr Morrison on Thursday thanked the police involved “for never giving up on this case”.

“But my real message to them is that those looking for those who have committed the crimes here will never stop,” he said.

Advertisement

“And I think that’s a great statement of the dedication of the police forces around our country.”

William Tyrrell’s disappearance has become one of Australia’s most baffling missing person cases.
Camera IconWilliam Tyrrell’s disappearance has become one of Australia’s most baffling missing person cases. Credit: Supplied

William’s foster parents were on Wednesday charged over the alleged assault of a child – not William – on Sydney’s upper north shore.

In a statement released on Wednesday afternoon, NSW Police said the couple were charged with common assault of a child who cannot be named for legal reasons.

A 56-year-old woman and a 54-year-old man were each served with court attendance notices and they are set to appear in Hornsby Local Court early next week.

Nobody has been charged over William’s disappearance and suspected death.

Latest Travel News

Travel Guides

Travel Guides Buzz has breaking travel news, travel hotels, America travel guides, travel photos, latest travel news, Asia travel guides, Europe travel guides, Australia travel guides and all the trending buzz you’ll want to share with your friends. Copyright Travel Guides Buzz.

Related Articles

Back to top button