Advertisement
Travel News

MILLION DOLLAR MISTAKE: Multi-storey house reduced to rubble after home job goes terribly wrong

What started as an attempt to get rid of pesky creatures ended with an entire house going up in flames.

A house of nearly 1000 square metresin Dickerson, Maryland was engulfed in flames on November 23 when the homeowner tried to smoke out a snake infestation on the property, Pete Piringer, chief spokesperson for the Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service, told CNN.

Piringer said snakes had been an ongoing issue for this owner and the previous tenant as well.

Coals were used as the heat source for the smoke, but they were placed too close to combustible materials, eventually setting the house on fire, Piringer explained.

Advertisement

The fire started in the basement and quickly spread through each floor, engulfing the multi-storey home, according to CNN affiliate WJLA.

The property went up in flames. Credit: ABC7/ Pete Piringer/ Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service

Piringer told CNN that the owner was at home a few hours before, but luckily no one was there at the start of the fire.

A neighbour passing by saw the smoke and called 911.

At around 10pm, 75 firefighters showed up at the scene to battle the blaze.

Advertisement

“There were no fire hydrants in the area,” Piringer said.

“Which isn’t a problem because we’re used to it, but we had to shuttle in water tankers.”

Dozens of firefighters responded to the blaze.
Dozens of firefighters responded to the blaze. Credit: ABC7/ Pete Piringer/ Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service

It took a few hours for firefighters to get the fire under control, but it wasn’t completely out until the next morning.

The damages will cost more than $US1 million, Piringer said.

Advertisement

The house was recently purchased for $US1.8 million, according to public records.

The fire department deemed the incident an accident as there was no evidence, or intention, of starting the fire.

The house was destroyed in the fire.
The house was destroyed in the fire. Credit: ABC7/ Pete Piringer/ Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service

Piringer recommends using other ways to battle an infestation.

“There are animal services that can come out and make recommendations, or pest control, or an exterminator,” Piringer said.

“We recommend you have professionals deal with any pest control issue to help maintain the situation.”

Being that there was no one home at the time, there were no injuries reported.

The status of the snakes is unknown, but as the home was left in rubble, it’s assumed they no longer live there.

Latest Travel News

Travel Guides

Travel Guides Buzz has breaking travel news, travel hotels, America travel guides, travel photos, latest travel news, Asia travel guides, Europe travel guides, Australia travel guides and all the trending buzz you’ll want to share with your friends. Copyright Travel Guides Buzz.

Related Articles

Back to top button