The heartbroken father who lost four of his children in a devastating Melbourne house fire said he woke up to his son screaming “daddy”.
The children, aged from one to 10, died after a fire engulfed a Mantello Drive home in Werribee on Sunday morning just before 1am.
Their grieving dad Nagmeldin Osman spoke outside hospital on Tuesday and revealed how he did everything to rescue his children, who were asleep in the back room when the blaze took hold.
“I woke up when I heard them screaming, ‘Daddy’,” Osman said.
“When I woke up I can’t see anything. Everything was really dark from the smoke.
“I couldn’t see nothing. I didn’t even have one second. I couldn’t see the door.”
Osman said his eight-year-old son Ibrahim is a “hero” as he woke his parents up to get them out of the burning house.
“If is wasn’t for him me and my wife as well would have gone,” he said.
When I woke up I can’t see anything.
Ibrahim has been discharged from hospital, while his parents remain at The Alfred in a stable condition.
Osman has been left with significant burns to his torso and hands and cuts to his arms from when he punched glass windows to try and get back inside for his children.
After the fire, dozens of tributes had been left at the scene for the “angels gone too soon,” which included teddy bears, Sesame Street toys, flower bunches, candles and books.
“RIP beautiful souls. You’ll never be forgotten. Fly high,” one of the cards read.
A GoFundMe page for the surviving members of the family has already raised nearly $300,000.
Werribee fire brigade Lieutenant Damien Molloy said crews were aware the children were trapped, but the intensity of the blaze made it difficult to find them.
Latest Travel News