Despite WordPress being easy to use and manage in general, a WordPress website needs lots of care in order to thrive. While you can set up a schedule to update your installation, and manage basic errors, a WordPress maintenance service can help you with lots of other tasks.
For example, a good provider can jump onto any errors you may receive and solve them on your behalf. In fact, a maintenance service can prevent and mitigate them in the first place. The scope of this type of company is wide, yet focused on helping your site stay online and without faults.
Over this post, we’re going to look at why you might need a WordPress maintenance service. In the second half of the post, we’re going to show you a few of the leading services, and discuss what makes them worth your time.
Table of Contents
- 1 What WordPress maintenance is (and why you’d want to use a dedicated service)
- 2 How to know whether you need a WordPress maintenance service
- 3 The leading WordPress maintenance companies
- 4 Choosing the best WordPress maintenance service for you in 2021
What WordPress maintenance is (and why you’d want to use a dedicated service)
In a general sense, maintenance covers all of the areas that you’ll do to make sure your site runs in peak condition. In fact, you might already carry out some of these facets on a day-to-day basis:
However, this is where a WordPress maintenance service starts its support. This type of company can do much more to optimize your site further. For example:
- It can work on your database, to make sure it doesn’t drag down your performance.
- Speaking of which, a good service will know how to give your site other performance improvements and make it as fast as possible.
- It can jump in when you get an error on your site, and have everything online again in a flash – all without your input.
In fact, there’s much more a WordPress maintenance service can do for you, depending on the company and its focus. As for why you’d want to use one, some of the reasons are obvious, while others provide bonus value:
- You can gain all of the benefits of regular maintenance without lifting a finger.
- There’s a time-saving element too, and you can work on growth while the service focuses on maintenance.
- A quality service will be an expert in the field. This means you can rely on it to deliver and provide answers to questions you don’t have the knowledge of.
However, even though you can understand the benefits of using a WordPress maintenance service, you might not know if your site needs one. In the next section, we’ll take a look at this further.
How to know whether you need a WordPress maintenance service
Spoiler alert: no full WordPress maintenance service will come for free. As such, you always have to question whether you need to spend the money.
In our opinion, there are a few questions you should ask when you weigh up whether to opt for a WordPress maintenance service:
- Do you spend more time carrying out basic tasks such as updates than you’d like?
- Are you a non-technical site owner, yet want the benefits of an optimized WordPress site?
- Can site errors give you sleepless nights, can they take too long to fix, or does the aftermath cause a negative impact on your income?
- Do you rely on the income from your site – maybe it’s a lucrative side-hustle or a primary business venture?
If you answer “Yes” to lots of these questions, you might want to consider a WordPress maintenance service. For the rest of this article, we’re going to show you a few of the leading companies in the space.
The leading WordPress maintenance companies
Let’s take a look at some of the most popular WordPress maintenance companies and services. The list isn’t in any order, so feel free to jump around the article.
However, we do recommend you read about all of the services on this list. It could be that one you hadn’t considered fits you better than the rest.
1. WP Buffs
WP Buffs will be a familiar name if you carry out even a cursory amount of research into WordPress maintenance. It is a front-running solution and is a regular at in-person WordPress events.
Because it’s a big part of the WordPress community, WP Buffs has immense knowledge of what makes WordPress tick and provides a bunch of key services to its customers.
The exact services depend on which plan you choose but here are some examples of what you’ll get with WP Buffs:
- Daily cloud backups.
- Regular updates to your themes, plugins, and core files.
- Round-the-clock uptime monitoring.
- Support for emergencies, such as business-critical site errors.
- Optimization for media and smaller-screen devices.
You’ll also have access to the iThemes Security Pro plugin, to help you lock down your site and keep its users secure.
Pricing begins at $79 per month for the lowest-tier plan and rises to nearly $500 per month for the top-tier service. This may impact your budget though, in which case, you might want to check out one of the other solutions on this list.
2. WP Tech Support
Users from outside of the US might recognize WP Tech Support, although the company is making inroads into the North American market. This is good news stateside because this WordPress maintenance service is stellar and super-dependable.
We like how the website gives you a set of use cases, which leads you into choosing one of the focused offerings. For example, WP Tech Support covers a few vital areas:
- Ongoing maintenance tasks.
- Custom development and server-side updates.
- Performance and speed optimization.
- ‘One-shot’ fixes for business-critical issues.
Because there are a lot of areas that WP Tech Support is an expert in, the pricing is varied and arguably more confusing than other companies.
There are monthly maintenance plans starting from around $55 and topping off at around $175–180 per month, that expand the scope of the service accordingly. However, there are also one-off costs for one-time fixes, malware removal, and server PHP updates. What’s more, you can also pay a one-time fee for speed and database optimization.
There are lots of branches to this tree, and WP Tech Support is nothing but flexible and ready to assist if you have a maintenance need.
SiteCare is a popular provider of WordPress maintenance, but it also offers other services that go beyond some other WordPress maintenance services. For example, the company also offers lead generation services that help your search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC) management, and more.
Sticking with SiteCare’s maintenance offering, they provide a lot of standard services:
- Updates to all of WordPress’ major elements.
- Backups to the cloud, on a regular basis depending on your plan.
- Security protection, encompassing brute force attacks, round-the-clock monitoring, anti-spam software, and a dedicated firewall.
- Critical error support, that’s in line with a number of other solutions in the field.
However, SiteCare also provides further support for site development and includes features that developers and website owners will benefit from. For example, SiteCare implements version control and staging for each client. What’s more, it also provides managed hosting powered by Amazon Web Services.
Price-wise, SiteCare is expensive. The lowest tier is $299 per month, and those prices get into four figures fast. As such, SiteCare is rock-solid, but only within reach of big enterprises, or affluent site owners.
WebDevStudios’ Maintainn service has a similar high-quality feel to it as SiteCare. In fact, the company offers a similar range of services, such as maintenance, design, development, and hosting.
Of course, this WordPress maintenance service wouldn’t be on the list without a core offering of typical areas of expertise:
- Regular backups and updates.
- Security monitoring that never sleeps.
- Repairs to hacked and damaged websites.
- Performance reporting and checks.
However, Maintainn’s parent company is a top-class WordPress development agency. As such, Maintainn takes a client-first approach that lots of businesses will love. For example, each client has a Project Manager as a primary contact and there’s also a dedicated collaboration workspace to help everyone stay on the same page.
The lowest-tier plan on Maintainn is $54 per month, but this doesn’t give you anywhere near the full experience. The only tier to do this is the Enterprise plan, at $274 per month. It may seem expensive, but it’s quite competitive when you compare this to the competition and gives you peace of mind when it comes to your site’s maintenance.
Choosing the best WordPress maintenance service for you in 2021
There are two questions you’ll likely ask regarding WordPress maintenance services. First, How can they help me? and second, Which one should I choose? The answer to the former will dictate the latter.
In general, a WordPress maintenance service will let you sit back a little while they carry out update and backups on your behalf. However, that’s not all. Some services provide security and emergency support. There are lots of available choices, such as WP Buffs and WP Tech Support. Our advice is to check out the features and contact each team to discover whether it fits with your needs.
Or, if you’re a bit wary about the price of a quality WordPress maintenance service, you can also check out our guide on how to handle WordPress maintenance yourself with as little effort as possible.
Do you still have any questions about whether your site needs a maintenance service or which service is best for your needs? Let us know in the comments!
5 Essential Tips to Speed Up
Your WordPress Site
Reduce your loading time by even 50-80%
just by following simple tips.