A GRIP ON SPORTS • It’s not codified in any books, together with those who line the partitions at Gonzaga’s regulation college. However there’s a kind of unwritten guidelines of sports activities writing about this day. It’s one wherein we should obey. We’ve received a column full of sports activities gadgets for which we are thankful. They usually are in no specific order.
• Final summer season I performed golf simply a handful of occasions. However throughout a kind of rounds, I made a twisting, breaking 30-foot putt for an sudden birdie at Circling Raven. I’m so grateful I can stay off that reminiscence for an additional winter.
• Each probability I get earlier than basketball apply, I discover the dry mop and clear the ground. Why would I be thankful for such a mundane chore? Two causes. I like that, even at my age, I nonetheless can, with out hurting an excessive amount of. And I like having the ability to serve these I coach in such a small but vital method. It’s additionally a method I honor my father, who all the time believed in servant management earlier than it had a title.
• Gonzaga basketball. Each genders. It’s good to have a hometown with such basketball excellence.
• Hoopfest. We haven’t had one in a whereas, which, as Shakespeare famous so a few years in the past, makes the guts develop fonder. It’s good to have a hometown occasion that honors basketball exuberance.
• Although I’ve by no means partaken of what they’ve to supply, I’m so thankful our space has such glorious ski resorts. Why? Primarily as a result of it retains a sure phase of the inhabitants pleased. In the course of the worst winters, when the snow piles up so excessive you possibly can’t see the azalea that brightens the entrance yard within the spring, the neighbors are nonetheless smiling. Good for them.
• I nonetheless have a good reminiscence. So all of my athletic “accomplishments” are nonetheless considerably contemporary. I’m so thankful a former school baseball teammate has retired to Spokane, permitting the prospect to get collectively each few months and contact base about these days. It’s not a Bruce Springsteen music come to life (neither of us might ever throw a pace ball by ya), nevertheless it’s shut.
• There may be a very nice pickle ball court docket close to the homestead. Although Kim and I gave one another all of the accouterments of the game final Christmas, we didn’t discover our strategy to it simply but. Nevertheless, I’m nonetheless thankful it’s there. As I stroll by – the park it’s in can also be my favourite place to take a day stroll – I see folks older than me – sure, there are a few – enjoying. And speaking. Laughing. Having fun with the train. That’s so cool.
• Washington State soccer followers are resilient. We’ve been on this space for nearly 40 years and, in that point, the Cougars have been nice simply a couple occasions. It doesn’t matter. The outdated Seashore Boys music about being true to your college nonetheless rings true. This yr, they deserve one thing particular to occur, after the river of you-know-what they’ve needed to wade by means of.
• You could not imagine this, however I actually respect these of us who adjudicate sports activities. Doesn’t matter which one, however they will’t occur with out folks keen to step onto a subject or court docket and be criticized it doesn’t matter what. Kind of like sports activities columnists.
• It’s good to see Kyle Smith has introduced WSU basketball again to a stage of excellence not seen in Pullman for a decade or so. Life round right here is all the time higher when the Cougars are higher in hoop. Now, about transforming Beasley Coliseum …
• It’s been an terrible yr for the region’s professional sports teams. Certain, the Mariners exceeded expectations, however, you already know, that playoff factor. The Seahawks? Oh my gosh, they are unhealthy. The Sounders performed effectively for a lot of the summer season however definitely didn’t attain the excessive expectations we all have. The Kraken is new. Not excellent, however new. And but, aside from the NBA, the state has skilled groups in each league nowadays. That’s one thing that deserves a hearty “thanks.”
• Lastly, we must thanks of us. You’re the rationale we pull ourselves away from bed each morning earlier than dawn – this time of yr at least – and begin banging away at the keyboard. It’s a labor of affection. Unrequited love, generally, however love nonetheless. And also you of us are the goal. I hope each morning I can, in some small method, enable you join with the sports activities you like, no matter they are. And make your life a little higher. Thanks for studying.
Gonzaga: What did the UCLA win inform us? As UCLA’s Mick Cronin mentioned, Mark Few cares about protection too. And he has the gamers to execute what he desires to do. The protection’s subsequent take a look at, Duke, comes Frtday. Jim Meehan has different takeaways from the sport as effectively. … Jim has spent extra Thanksgivings on the highway than he would most likely prefer to admit. Which makes him the right man to jot down this story in regards to the vacation and the Zags. … Theo Lawson is making an attempt to catch up however it is going to be a whereas. He has a story on Julian Strawther’s return house as effectively as being the particular visitor on Larry Weir’s newest Press Box podcast. … The ladies are in Hawaii. Jim Allen has a match preview. … Across the WCC, Saint Mary’s lastly misplaced, dropping the ultimate sport of the Maui Invitational 61-55 to Wisconsin. … BYU rolled over Texas Southern.
WSU: Bear in mind the final time the Cougars received in Seattle? We do. That might be 2007, within the last sport of Invoice Doba’s head teaching stint. Colton Clark talked with a few of the parents concerned with the sport and has this story. … Yesterday it was Abe Lucas. At the moment Jaylen Watson introduced he’s taking part within the Senior Bowl. Colton has that story as effectively. … The following era of defensive backs added a member yesterday. Colton shares the information a West Aspect participant dedicated to WSU. … Bob Gregory attended Gonzaga Prep. Walked-on at Washington State. Went into school teaching. And now shall be answerable for the Huskies on Friday. Garrett Cabeza has this piece on Gregory’s journey. … Elsewhere within the Pac-12 and school soccer, Jon Wilner picks this weekend’s games within the Mercury Information. He has the Cougars profitable. … Not all of the stories from Washington this yr are sad ones. And those from recent Apple Cups have been actually pleased. … Oregon State’s offensive line has melded into a cohesive and highly effective unit. … Oregon is relying on youngsters as a result of some accidents. … Colorado hopes to have a happy ending in opposition to Utah, although the Utes are enjoying higher than anybody proper now. … The place does UCLA stand as its regular season winds down? … We all know the Trojans have to win their final two games to go bowling. … Did we mention the rule about being thankful at this time? We have now this to move alongside from Arizona. … Arizona State will lose some key seniors when the season ends. … In basketball information, Wilner has his weekly power rankings. … Arizona has risen in these rankings due to its undefeated begin, not its fashion sense. … Arizona State fell in opposition to Baylor within the Bahamas. … Essentially the most-loved participant for UCLA is an end-of-the-bench walk-on. … Utah has began the season on a roll however BYU lurks Saturday. … On the other finish of the ladder is Oregon, which received simply steamrolled by Houston final evening. … Washington misplaced to Nevada, which is 0-2 in opposition to the WCC this yr. … Irony? USC is playing in the Wooden Legacy. … Colorado is devoted to taking pictures higher.
EWU: Right here’s one other factor we’re thankful for nowadays. Jap appears to make the FCS playoffs each season. The Eagles begin their 2021 journey Saturday by internet hosting Northern Iowa, a acquainted foe. Dan Thompson seems again at the matchups over time. … Across the Huge Sky, Montana State has to repair its offense earlier than its playoff run begins. … Northern Colorado’s season can’t be utterly defined with numbers. … In basketball information, Northern Arizona fell at house to Cal State Fullerton. Any day when the Titans win is a unhealthy day in my e book. … Northern Colorado additionally misplaced, at San Jose State. … A minimum of Montana received, opening its match by handing UC San Diego its first loss.
Preps: Dave Nichols takes a while this morning to look again at the not too long ago accomplished soccer season.
Chiefs: The six-game shedding streak is over. Spokane received at house for the primary time this season, topping Kelowna 2-1 Wednesday evening. Kevin Dudley was within the Enviornment and has this story.
Seahawks: We didn’t put this in our checklist, however Pete Carroll remaining optimistic within the face of this season? We’re thankful for that as effectively. … He’s additionally positive about his relationship with Russell Wilson. … D.J. Reed needs to be again this week in opposition to the red-hot Washington Football Team.
Kraken: This might need been probably the most spectacular win of the season. Seattle scored late and won a tight one with Carolina, 2-1. The Local weather Pledge Enviornment crowd cherished it.
• For one of many few occasions within the six many years we’ve been married, Kim received’t be making Thanksgiving dinner. She has labored too onerous the previous yr to spend her uncommon break day doing such a factor. So I’m doing it. Simply kidding. That might be an terrible catastrophe. We are headed to the Davenport for dinner. … By the best way, Kim and I married in 1979. So we have been married for elements of six many years. Yep, the ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s, ‘00s, ‘10s and now the roaring ‘20s. It sounds o way more spectacular than saying we’ve been married for 42 years. I’m thankful for everybody of the 1000’s of days we’ve been collectively. Till later …